2 December 2011

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Release Date: December 2nd 2010
Publisher: Dutton
Add it: Goodreads
Overall: 

 As you may have noticed, I'm not a huge fan of contemporary fiction, ESPECIALLY contemporary romance... Oh boy, turns out I was wrong that not ALL contemporary is mind-numbingly boring. Anna and the French Kiss had me me in fits of laughter on every page and from the moment that 'Hogwarts' was mentioned, I was in love!

Anna Oliphant is sent to go to school in Paris by her father against her wishes. Anna can't speak French, she doesn't want to leave her friends and family behind but once she arrives, she soon makes friends and meets Etienne St. Clair *swoons*.

Reading about Anna was like reading about myself when I was 16 *what was I THINKING?* and I found I could really relate to her, particularly because of the way she would think and what she would go through with her friends and guys. The thing I loved most about Anna is that she didn't immedietely go "OMG I LOVE HIM", it took the entire novel to realise that she loved Etienne. First, she just thinks he's hot and has a hot accent, which I agree with because English accents are AWESOME. Then they become best friends, they then like eachother and then they realise they love eachother. Anna and the French Kiss is easily the best couple I've seen in YA. They had chemistry, as in real, make-your-heart-race chemistry. I loved Anna, she was smart, funny, sarcastic, confused and flawed (she has gap-teeth, how often do you come across that in YA?)... I wish I could meet Anna, I love her, but I love her boyfriend too :S...

Etienne, ahhh Etienne... Etienne.
Oh I loved him! He was funny, he was hot, he was caring, sweet, short (if he was real, this wouldn't be a problem, I'm 5'3"), had issues, got drunk, got angry, got upset.... I could go on and on about how great Etienne is but you wouldn't know unless you read the book (which, I know it took me a year to read this. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME)

The secondary characters were not just there for shits and giggles, they had a purpose, they had their own stories and they were real. They swore, they argued, they laughed, they partied, they were typical teenagers!

This is probably the worst review I have ever written because this is one of the best books I have ever read. Why is it always harder to review a book you love?
Anyway, go read this now. Especially those who don't read contemporary (believe me, I don't), but Stephanie Perkins has created some of the most fantastic, well-rounded characters and such a beautiful, fun story I guarantee you will laugh, possibly cry, hope and swoon over this story, Anna and Etienne

PS - I want to go to Paris now more than EVER.

9 comments:

  1. I really can't wait to read this one!! I wish my library would hurry up and get it in :'( I've read Lola and the Boy Next Door though and really enjoyed it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just over halfway with Lola now :)
    Thanks! I think it's actually the worst review I've ever written because I didn't know what to say other than
    "THIS BOOK IS AMAZING, READ THIS BOOK. THIS BOOK IS AWESOME".
    I think this book is definitely worth buying :), just about every single page had me laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEE!! <3 I am SO happy you loved this!! Because if you had written a bad review, I might have had to kill you. For real. Not even kidding.

    She had me at Hogwarts too! And then.. oh gosh. You're so right about Anna/Etienne, their chemistry was off-the-charts explosive. Man, I so want to reread this right now. It gives me happysighgiddy feelings just thinking about it. And your review is AWESOME!! So shut up :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. best review for th best book?! LOVE IT <3 I totally go all fan-girl on my favorite books too :Dhaha! thanks for sharing your thoughts.... So happy you enjoyed Anna, easily one of my all time fav reads!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. *worst review for the best book

    ReplyDelete
  6. Words can't describe how much I loved this book. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHAT?! you don't like contemporary that much? that's my favorite genre! But I have to agree, Anna made a lot of people explore contemp. I'm glad you liked the book this much:D

    -thank you&come again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'This is probably the worst review I have ever written because this is one of the best books I have ever read'... I have this feeling every time I read an awesome book!! I understand you so well!! =D
    It took you a year to read it? lol, there is definitely something wrong with you but Im so glad you finally read it =) ...Etienne.... Awww!!

    great review my dear!! thank you so much for stopping by! muah!! =D I hope you re-read Anna! is soooo worth re-read a few times hohoohoho!! read Lola now!! kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for reviewing this, i completely forgot about it! i remember wanting to buy it but forgot cos i ended up buying 10other books from amazing for my kindle, but now since i read your thoughts and have an idea over it, i'll def buy it. this story kind of reminds me of perfect chemistry.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from you makes me happy :)
Even if I don't reply, I see EVERY single comment and appreciate the time you've made to browse my blog!!
Thankyou <3