5 January 2012

Dark Seeker by Taryn Browning

Dark Seeker by Taryn Browning
Release Date: October 4th 2011
Publisher: Taryn Browning
Add it: Goodreads
Overall: 

Firstly, thankyou Taryn Browning for providing me with a copy for review! This has not affected my review in any way.

Janie is a Seeker, she has been trained to rid the streets of the undead and of super creepy vampire-demon halfbreeds called Daychildren. One night out Seeking, she is completely unprepared for what she would have to fight, until Kai comes along, saves her and finishes them off.

Okay, so first thing I have to clear up: Janie is not one of those "heroines" that are supposedly tough and kickass but actually don't do anything but whinge and moan to the guy about having to be rescued. This instance is a one off. Throughout the book, Kai (who I seriously have a crush on now) tries to protect her and warns her against the undead and Daychildren, this is sweet because the way he says it isn't all "You are a woman, you can't handle this", he is simply concerned but Janie still tells him to shove it and that she can handle it herself, which she can! Janie is a great character, Browning has developed her so well - she is tough, stubborn, has lost and never loved and she is actually very emotional. Underneath all of her tough exterior, Browning has written her in such a way that reflects that she is still a teenage girl going to highschool. Janie is easily one of my favourite characters in a novel, I probably wouldn't befriend her instantly though, because I'm scared of her (but shh).

And Kai. Oh, well I love him. Enough said. He is incredibly emotional, and the things that he has been through is so gut-wrenching and raw that you understand why is he so protective and you understand why he is the way he is. Anyway. Kai is hot, and sweet, and all-round awesome.

This also made me laugh so hard it parts, like, the ghetto gangsta vampires and Janie thinking of 'Bloods' and 'Crips'... HA! I laughed out loud with this because it put the best visual in my head - A vampire with a gangsta lean, a red bandana and ghetto jeans just casually strolling toward Janie, possibly listening to Lil John or Snoop Dogg on an iPod.

I think the only issue I had with this was the insta-love. I think that was my fault though, because the pacing was *so* fast (which was great by the way), I couldn't keep up with the timing in the novel and still thought it had been a few days until how long it had really been was mentioned at the end! So really, it wasn't insta-love, it was just me not being able to keep up haha!

Oh, and Browning's writing seriously pulls you in. For example,
"In a flash, his teeth sank into her neck. Muscle man held her firmly as the newbie bit even deeper into her vein" OUCH. Reading that actually made my freaking neck hurt. *shudders*

Ooooh, another note - I REALLY want to see more of Abram and Albania (wow, so many cool 'A' names).

Overall, Dark Seeker was original and refreshing and I'm pretty freaking eager to read Dark Beauty and whatever else Taryn Browning has to offer!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome review!! Glad to see you liked this one as much as I did :)

    Amy @ Following The Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your wonderful review! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome Taryn! Thankyou for commenting :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Oh my gosh, I'm really glad that this book has such a strong female lead -- I had no idea! But kick-butt heroines are my absolute favourite, and Janie sounds like one that I'd definitely love! :)

    Awesome review, Taneika! Even with the insta-love, I'm super-intrigued about this book and I think I might read it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from you makes me happy :)
Even if I don't reply, I see EVERY single comment and appreciate the time you've made to browse my blog!!
Thankyou <3