27 February 2012

Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter

Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter
Release Date: March 27th 2012
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Add it: Goodreads
Overall: 


WARNING: DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU ARE FEELING A SENSE OF LOSS, ARE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT "WHO YOU ARE" OR IF YOU ARE SIMPLY EMOTIONALLY UNSTABLE. IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS, PUT OFF READING THIS AS IT MAY RESULT IN BOUTS OF CRYING THAT LAST FOR CHAPTERS ON END.

I enjoyed but didn't love The Goddess Test and judging by some reviews of this installment, those who loved the first installment, weren't huge fans of this one. I have to say I'm the opposite! Maybe it's because I didn't really think Henry and Kate had much of a relationship in The Goddess Test. Maybe it's because I'm a bit of an emotional wreck at this point of my life. Or maybe it was just my cup of tea! For whatever reason, I enjoyed this installment even more than its predecessor.

The novel starts off with a bang and it doesn't slow down for a long time! From the get-go, Kate just couldn't catch a break. She has just come back from her 6 month "break" in Greece and pretty much the moment she sets foot in the freaking door, trouble goes down with a Titan. Kate then goes on a trip in the Underworld in order to save her loved ones. Now, for the first half of the book, Kate, Ava and James are on said trip together and it's basically walk, walk, walking for days on end. But you know what? I found it interesting. Aimee Carter has this wonderful way of making time fly in a couple of pages and only adds the good bits in. Although it sounds incredibly boring to read, it wasn't. It was always interesting and I really loved the pace throughout the entire novel.

I love Kate even more thanks to this installment. I love her attitude, her determination and her sympathetic/empathetic nature (even if she doesn't want to! *cough* Persephone *cough*). Even when she is at her lowest point, she still manages to at least appear strong, she never really loses her marbles, she is incredibly impulsive, but not an idiot and she is funny.
'I slammed the breaks and forced the car into Park so violently that the head of the stick shift snapped off. The car was a piece of shit anyway.' I HAVE SO MUCH LOVE FOR THAT SENTENCE RIGHT NOW! But may I just say, it's incredibly weird to read "Stick shift", when we call them manuals in Australia :).

As the novel progresses, Kate's emotions spiral out of control and so did mine. For about 3 chapters straight (as a rough estimate), I was a blubbering mess and wanted to reach out for Kate, give her a massive hug and cry together! As an interesting turn of events, Kate returns home much sooner than I expected and I was left wondering where Aimee Carter was going with this as it seemed that everything was resolved (for a little while) about 150 pages before the novel finished. During this time, Kate discovers more about who she is and why. Her and Henry also have some uh, issues which also made me cry on Kate's behalf (seriously, Henry could use some guidance in "How to Show Affection".) but we also discover why Henry is the way he is around Kate, and why Persephone did what she did. I could understand both Henry and Kate and why they felt the way they did and I'm SO glad that things got sorted out!

And then there's the cliffhanger to defeat all cliffhangers-it's up there with Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone... As soon as I finished those last few pages, I kinda felt angry. Mainly due to the fact that I have to wait God knows how long until the next installment. I WANT NOW. I went from thinking "HA-HA good one!" to thinking "Oh, god, THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING." My head kinda half-exploded from the ending and I seriously just needed more. Please October, HURRY UP.

'"Being with Henry doesn't mean you have to give up who you are. Henry doesn't define you."' Aimee Carter, this is one of my favourite quotes - EVER. At this point I was in hysterics, damn it!

I received this for review from Netgalley and this has not influenced my review at all.

2 comments:

  1. Wow sound like a good read. I've request it from netgalley two times already and got rejected. Huh~
    Looks like a long wait for me to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you won't have to wait long :) it's available on the 27th March! Not too long :D

      Delete

Comments from you makes me happy :)
Even if I don't reply, I see EVERY single comment and appreciate the time you've made to browse my blog!!
Thankyou <3