10 September 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 
Release Date: September 14th 2008
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Add it: Goodreads
Overall: 


I’d just like to say, I have NO IDEA why it took me so long to actually read this book considering within the first two pages I was hooked! I finished this book and thought “So THIS is what all the fuss is about!”. Although it took me about 4 days to read, I could have easily read it in one if not for uni assignments (yay).

The premise of The Hunger Games is somewhat disturbing. It’s a dystopian novel and is set in a not-too-distant future in what used to be America. America has collapsed due to natural disasters, famine and war and the country of Panem has replaced it. Panem is divided into the Capitol (basically the head honcho government area), and 12 districts. The capitol force two representatives aged 11-18 to participate in the annual Hunger Games – a brutal and cruel fight to the death – for their enjoyment and entertainment and these games are broadcasted throughout Panem and are compulsory to watch as the 24 participants are forced to eliminate eachother.

Sixteen year old Katniss’s young sister, Prim, is selected as the suffering and deprived District 12′s representative. Katniss volunteers to take her place and finds herself thrown in the Hunger Games, on television in front of the entire nation. Katniss and the male District 12 representative, Peeta are pitted against stronger, bigger and faster opponents, especially those who are Career Districts, those who have trained for the games their whole lives.

Collins’ creates characters who have so much depth and are so realistic. This book had me captivated from the get go. I adore Katniss, she is so real, is a real heroine and a true survivor – plus she’s awesome with a bow and arrow! Katniss may raise some eyebrows, but I did not question her at all. If I was thrown into a giant arena with nothing but the clothes on my back and had to kill 23 others and survive in the wilderness, I reckon I’d die pretty easily and would definitely not be as clever as Katniss.

This book had me feeling so many things, I felt anger, sadness, betrayal, fear, hopelessness, grief, guilt and happiness. The only thing I think I can find fault in this novel is that the sentences were a bit choppy and I found it a  bit disorienting, but I think this is what Ms. Collins wanted and it was successful in making the story really come alive and in making you feel like you were really watching Katniss and like you were there with her.

I think you’re just going to have to read the book rather than this review because I simply can’t put everything I love about this book into words. This is one of those books where someone says “This book is AMAZING”, it really is, seriously.

Another thing I’d love to see is a map of Panem and the 12 districts, the wilderness and the 13th district that was destroyed. THAT would be pretty awesome!

1 comment:

Comments from you makes me happy :)
Even if I don't reply, I see EVERY single comment and appreciate the time you've made to browse my blog!!
Thankyou <3