11 October 2011

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
Release Date: July 13th 2010
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Add it: Goodreads
Overall: 

Let me just begin with by saying HOW FREAKING AWESOME IS THE GREEN PRINT?? And there is red print in the final book :D hahaha! Thankyou Jordon for buying this wonderful hardcover set for me :)
At first I wasn’t sure I would enjoy this book. I thought it was going to be similar to the first, just another paranormal love story but I loved it! It did take me awhile to actually get into the book in the first place, but I think this has more to do with the fact I’ve been majorly busy these past few days rather than not actually enjoying the book.

Ms. Stiefvater has done it again. She has made me a blubbering mess after I’ve finished reading. This is not good in this case as I’m writing this review on a 7 hour train ride home full of strangers and I’m REALLY freaking tired – I don’t appreciate getting up at 6.00am :| ugh.

So I’m not really sure as to how I should start this review… I’m not going to attempt to summarise the plot at all because I’ll just give everything away. SO. When I first started reading this I wasn’t sure what to expect because I was quite prepared for another “OMG I LUV YOOH” book about Grace and Sam. I mean I love Sam, and I love Grace but come on people! I was pleasantly surprised to find out I was wrong and to find out that a new wolf named Cole has been added to the mix in a non-love triangle way! Oh god! I loved this! I loved the fact that Cole and Grace didn’t even meet until the last 50 pages or whatever! I also loved that this book had four different prespectives and I love that Grace and Isabel are basically besties instead of Grace being all “zomg she is pretty and popular so she is evil” because you know what? Sometimes people from different groups in school are friends! THANKYOU Maggie for kicking this YA cliché in the gut!

Isabel is one of my new favourites; in fact I think I even prefer her over Grace (and my heart bleeds for Grace in this book, hence the blubbering messiness....). I found Isabel to be real and I really sympathised with her from her loss in the previous book, I'm so glad that Jack's loss is acknowledged and mourned. Maggie already started developing her character in the first book and I could tell that she planned everything for this series. Even little details from the first book are dropped in the second instalment. Cole being the main little detail! Cole was awesome, I loved how real he was – well as real as you can get for a rockstar turned Werewolf – and I loved his and Isabel’s relationship and how the two grew together throughout the book. Cole is basically an arrogant, selfish asshole and he knows it dammit! He is a bad boy through and through and I appreciate this. Thankyou Maggie for creating a bad boy that is not actually a wuss or secretly on the side of good or whatever.

I still love Grace and I still love Sam. Wait, no. I take that back. I love them MORE than the last book. If I met Sam I would fall at his feet. I am a fangirl for Sam. Also, I love Grace. They are both simply awesome. End of!

I felt all of the characters did some growing up in this instalment – apart from Grace’s parents because they’re idiots through and through in my opinion – Although Isabel told Sam to grow up in this one, I felt he had grown up more since the first one and his and Grace’s situation broke my heart.
*SPOILER!!*I want a REAL cure dammit! I feel for you Sam. I do! You poor poetic soul!!!*SPOILER ENDED*

I am definitely going to read Forever and I’m absolutely itching to find out what happens but it’s going to have to wait a few days because the latest instalment of The Last Vampire is waiting patiently (more like screaming READ ME. I’M HERE. READ ME!!)  and I’ll probably be done with that by the time this train arrives home or by tomorrow night. THEN I’ll start Forever :)

Something I love about Cole… (Sam’s POV)
“He looked back over his shoulder at Mr. Brisbane, who was looking at me with a complicated expression as I left. Cole pointed at him and said, “YOU’RE a son of a bitch. He belongs here more than you do.”

YEAH. Mr. Brisbane you ignorant man, take THAT!

3 comments:

  1. Excellent review! I haven read Linger yet--_--... But I love Maggie's writing style. Tomorrow Im starting The Scorpio Races. I've been longin to read this book since I read its summary and saw the gorgeous cover!

    I hope you read it too once it comes out.

    Best ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou! I just got Scorpio Races this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha I love the last quote!! :D :D I actually haven't liked Linger so much. Thank God for Isabel and Cole to shake things up a bit!! :D I love these 2 way moree :P But then, probably because I love action and impulsiveness way too much :) :)

    Great review Taneika!! :) ;) <3

    ReplyDelete

Comments from you makes me happy :)
Even if I don't reply, I see EVERY single comment and appreciate the time you've made to browse my blog!!
Thankyou <3